AccuRender nXt

advanced rendering for AutoCAD

Coming soon-- path tracer only.  Architectural applications are probably limited-- but it's interesting new territory anyway.

Views: 320

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a blend of SSS and procedural marble:

Will do well in certain ceramic tiles

There is very well function of nxt, thank you! :-)

Here's a different use of a similar technology:

Is that fog I see?
In this case, confined to a box 1 meter high.  Uses subsurface scattering techniques...
What's the point of this technology?
I'm not sure I understand the question.  Do you mean "what are the applications?"
I just want to know what exactly your message means - Subsurface scattering - is it some new funcionality in nXt? What's so special on these pictures? What gives this technology?

There's an ok summary of subsurface scattering on Wikipedia.  It's an industry standard term so there's quite a bit about it out there.  Here's another decent article.

Generally speaking, the lighting in nXt and all previous versions of AR occurs at the surface only.  Subsurface scattering is essentially a volumetric technique, where interactions also occur within the medium.  It's required to accurately model materials which we think of as "translucent".  It's also helpful with materials where the light penetrates the surface a little bit-- such as the marble dragons-- and then scatters on its way out.  The feel of the images above would be very difficult to achieve without this technology.

A similar technique can also be used to model other participating media, such as the ground fog above.  This has a very different feel than previous fog implementations.  The technique can be extended to model non-homogenous participating media-- things like smoke or non-uniform fog (clouds?) etc..

Downside is that it can take a long time to resolve these materials-- accurate simulations almost require a path tracer approach.

Thanks a lot for this explanation. Looks promissing.

BTW. I found the Path Tracer the most interesting and valuable feature of nXt. It gives realy soft light (for the first time in whole AR history). But it's not perfect - it's slow - sometimes even hours and houndreds passes don't fix the noisy areas. I'd like to ask you - are you planning to develope this engine? I think it realy worth it.

It is being developed-- subsurface scattering is an example of this.  I'm working on a stand-alone version of the engine as well.

If you mean-- will the performance improve substantially?-- I don't think so.  I don't have any magic wands to wave at the moment.  One of the things I'm going for with this engine is simplicity.  None of the really technical items matter to the path tracer-- for example: Glossy switches, daylight portals, ambient lighting settings, etc.. have no effect.  The combination of this simplicity and the calculation of more light paths slow the thing down-- quite substantially in the case of interior daylighting.  The above mentioned stand-alone has almost nothing to set.

I'm also investigating another engine that has the potential for even more accurate simulations-- probably a little slower, though.

On the bright side-- computers continue to get faster.

Latest Activity

Albert D Hart replied to Steve Wojtynek's discussion Tileable Texture Wizard...
"We are creating a version which will work inside of nXtRender for AutoCAD. We hope to have it ready for testing in the next two weeks We'll post a message here when it is ready "
Oct 10
Steve Wojtynek posted a discussion

Tileable Texture Wizard...

I use AccuRender nXt alongside AutoCAD 2011.  I just read an email from RenderPlus that talked about a Tileable Texture Wizard now available in that incarnation of AccuRender.  Is that Wizard available for ARnxt?See More
Oct 4
Roy Hirshkowitz replied to Cesar Montero's discussion USING THE TRIAL VERSION BUT CRASHES WHEN I OPEN MORE THAN TWO DRAWINGS
"Ah-- so if what you're doing is opening multiple instances of AutoCAD and trying to run nXt in more than one of them, it's possible you may run into problems.  I would have to check to see if we're actually supporting this.…"
Sep 27
"Thank you for the reply. I'm actually trying to figure out if it is an nxt problem or an AutoCAD problem.  It happens if I'm running nxt in an AutoCAD session and then try to open another AutoCAD session (not necessarily using…"
Sep 26
Roy Hirshkowitz replied to Cesar Montero's discussion USING THE TRIAL VERSION BUT CRASHES WHEN I OPEN MORE THAN TWO DRAWINGS
"I haven't heard of this before, but the trial versions and the full product are essentially identical, so any problems that you're currently having are likely to persist.   Does it happen consistently or is it intermittent?  Does…"
Sep 26
Rich Hart replied to Peter Milner's discussion Product Key
"Rich (Team), Aug 11, 08:48 MDT I don't have a record of your render farm key, but McNeel is no longer charging for using the render farm. Here is a Key that you can use to unlock all of your machines on the render farm: CD-key:…"
Sep 26
Peter Milner posted a discussion

Product Key

Could you tell me where I can find the product key for my renderfarm?I need to add a new computer onto the system.See More
Sep 26
Cesar Montero posted a discussion

Hello,I've been using the trial version at work but it crashes when I have more than 2 drawings opened in Auto cad while running a rendering. Is anybody having the same issue? I'd like to know if it is a nxt issue before buying the original.Thanks,CesarSee More
Sep 23

© 2016   Header image courtesy Peter Milner   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service